Free Documentary Online | Ghosts Of Rwanda

Bookmark and Share
Genre(s): Military and War

[imdb id=”tt0875882″ plot=”short”]


An informant tells Gen. Dallaire about the Hutu extremists’ extermination plans. But Kofi Annan‘s U.N. peacekeeping office is skeptical; Annan tells Dallaire not to raid arms caches and avoid using any force.
Seeing that no action is being taken by Dallaire’s U.N. forces, the extremists are now confident that the U.N. won’t stand in their way. On April 6th the Rwanda president’s plane is shot down and the killing begins. Dallaire again requests U.N. guidance and again is told to avoid armed conflict.

As the slaughter intensifies, the International Red Cross mission in Rwanda does not leave, and its leader, Philippe Gaillard, soon finds himself having to confront the extremist regime.

Meanwhile, a Rwandan human rights activist travels to Washington to meet with officials and ask for stronger U.S. action. But as she is there lobbying, the U.S. and the entire U.N. Security Council vote to withdraw 90% of Gen. Dallaire’s forces.

Four weeks into the genocide the Red Cross has estimated that 300,000 Rwandans have already been killed. The Clinton administration leaves the handling of the crisis to an interagency working group whose hands are tied by the government’s policy of non-intervention.

As the world leaves Rwanda to its fate, a young U.N. peacekeeper, Capt. Mbaye Diagne, is saving hundreds of lives, and Gen. Dallaire, the U.N. force commander, is confronting the death squad commanders.

As the years pass, world leaders – who did little as genocide happened on their watch – came to places like Nyarabuye on pilgrimages of contrition. Eventually, President Clinton himself comes to Rwanda.

Soon after the killing began, Carl Wilkens, an Adventist missionary, put his wife and children on a U.S. convoy out of Rwanda. But he decided to stay behind with Rwandan colleagues and workers who’d sought refuge in his home. By the night of April 10th, he was the only American left in Rwanda.

The first three weeks, the violence forced Wilkens to stay in his house and he videotaped and talked about what he was seeing and hearing. Later, he ventured out each day to help save lives by bringing supplies to orphanages and negotiating with the extremists. He remained in Rwanda throughout the genocide.

Share This Documentary:

Backup documentary, in case video(s) above throw errors before updated:
GD Star Rating